WHAT IS PEACE BY PEACE COTTON FOUNDATION
THE BACKGROUND OF PEACE BY PEACE COTTON
PEACE BY PEACE COTTON was launched as a circulation project by FELISSIMO in 2008.
For fashion, “cotton” is the most familiar material that we use with fashion items. However, on its farming land,
- The cotton farmers continuously purchase chemical fertilisers and pesticides to increase the yield of cotton, even though they cost a lot and make the farmers in debt.
- These chemical substances thrown in the soil seriously degraded its fertility and resulted in a gradual decrease in the yield amount of cotton year by year.
- In such a circumstance, the more farmers purchase the chemicals, the deeper they fall into the debt cycle for continuing cotton cultivation.
- The decrease in their income has involved children in work, many of them dropped out of school.
- Because of the debt that the farmers were not capable of paying off, 30,000 cotton farmers committed suicide in one year.
The reason why we started this project was our realisation of these situations surrounding these farmers and their families.
These days, we can purchase clothes at reasonable prices overwhelmingly, compared with the situation several years ago.
However, it is also a reality that there are some who enjoy fashion, and others and the environment suffer from the cultivation of cloth materials.
We are trying to promote products made of Indian organic cotton with corporations and other organisations. Building a structure that purchasing our products contributes to funds to (1) support cotton farmers to acquire organic farming methods and (2) provide their children with scholarships to access education.
In 2018, we gained legal status (General Incorporated Foundation), and have continued our activities since then, in order to scale up our support activities with more partners and supporters.
ABOUT PEACE BY PEACE COTTON PROJECT
STRUCTURE OF PEACE BY PEACE COTTON PROJECT
YOUR PARTICIPATION IN PBP SPREADS HAPPINESS
Our business is to promote products made of Indian organic cotton with corporations and other organisations. Part of the sales is utilised as funds in order to farm cotton again.
The funds enable the farmers to start cotton cultivation and that delivers the delight of clothes shopping to consumers again.
By realising such a positive cycle, we aim to create a system that will continue to bring smiles to all those who participate in this project as well as a rich and healthy ground for the future.
- Protection of cotton farmers from health damage.
- Health hazards and water contamination caused by agricultural chemicals will be eliminated.
- More access to education
- Children of cotton farmers who are forced to work because of poverty and labour shortage will be able to go to school.
- Revitalising lands and villages
- Activating the soil with organic farming will bring microorganisms back to the land.
- Getting out of the vicious debt cycle.
- Organic farming releases cotton farmers from debt caused by the large cost of agricultural chemicals and prevents their suicide.
- Increase in the yield with farming methods that suit the soil
- During the transition period to organic farming, we support farmers to learn farming methods that are suitable for each field to increase the harvest of the cotton crop.
Here is a video about our project. Please check it out.
Part of the sales from products made of Indian organic cotton will be collected as funds.
Those funds are used for supporting farmers to start organic cultivation and providing scholarships for children of cotton farmers to access education.
Then, organic cotton cultivation will be started with the funds, and new products will be manufactured.
Clothes shopping that we always enjoy in our lives becomes a part of the PBP project, and supports inheriting the rich and healthy land for the future.
RULES OF PBP PRODUCTS
- The ratio of cotton in the whole product must be over 51 percent.
- If it is blend spinning which includes cotton and other material, the ratio of cotton in the whole product must be over 51 percent.
- Use only 100 percent Indian organic cotton on part of cotton.
- Put the “CERTIFICATION” on products.
OUR CERTIFICATION OF FUNDS
Each PBP product has one of these three kinds of “CERTIFICATION” tags (100 yen, 200 yen, and 300 yen), which depend on the price of the products. The funds support cotton farmers to acquire organic farming methods and provide scholarships to farmers’ children to continue their education.
PBP IMPACT DIRECT CONNECTION WITH FARMERS AND CHILDREN
- NUMBER OF FARMERS
- NUMBER OF CHILDREN
GOING BACK TO SCHOOL
- NUMBER OF CHILDREN
STUDYING IN HIGER EDUCATION
We could not do educational support during 2020 because the shutdown of all educational institutes occurred with the spread of infection of COVID-19.
- THE TOTAL AMOUNT OF FUNDS (as of July 2022)
SOCIAL PRODUCTS AWARD
SENKEN NATURAL FIBER SPECIAL PRIZE